Monday, April 12, 2010

Long Runs

Long run week of March 6: 15 miles
Long run week of March 13: 16 miles
Long run week of March 20: 12 miles
Long run week of March 27: 17 miles
Long run week of April 3: 18 miles
Long run week of April 10: 19 miles

I haven't logged my miles in quite some time, so I can only remember the long runs. Last time I wrote, I was afraid I might have a hip injury that would sideline me. I almost didn't run the next weekend. I went ahead and ran, and only had minimal pain. It is almost healed now. The week I ran 14 was the worst week for me. I was discouraged, maybe that is why I haven't written since. Now I am only 7 miles away from the 26, and I know I can make it. My question now is, how long will it really take.
I had a hard run again Saturday, the wind was torturous. I ran with a group in Burley for about seven miles, then headed home to Declo just as the wind started blowing. When I got to 250 E, I decided I better run South for a mile, to add a couple more miles. It was a good thing I did then, because I never would have finished if I wouldn't have. The wind got to blowing so hard, I was barely moving. The only thing that kept me going was that I didn't have any other way home, and Austin had a t-ball game at 10:00. Anyway, it nearly killed me, or I thought it would, but I made it.
I have known for sometime, but have reaffirmed the fact that running is 90% mental, (see, Joe the snowboard instructor was right). Running long is hard, but, as stated by others, if you can run a mile, you can run a marathon. Someone asked me, "How can you run 16 miles, I get tired at 4." I told them, I get tired at 4, too, when I am running 4. It is all in your head. If you think you are running four, you will get tired before you're finished. If you think you are running 16, you will feel pretty good at four, but get tired before 16. I hope if you think you are running 26, you will feel great at four, medium at 16, and not get tired unitl about mile 24. I guess if I believe that is how it will work, it probably will. Maybe I should believe I won't get tired until 26.

So, in a bold move, today I will celebrate the wind. The last few weeks the wind has blown every time I have run. And when I say blow, I mean knock-you-over, take your breathe away, blow. My friend Lisa has a great saying when she rides in the wind, "I love the wind, it makes me strong." I too, love the wind (cringe) it makes me strong. That saying is true, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Isn't it funny how those things that are the hardest, help us the most. As I run, I think about what my brothers always tell me when I inform them that it is blowing in Declo, "It never blows in Boise." See how strong I will be, I will blow by those other runners, as the wind blows by me. I will be stronger because of the wind, and for that, I celebrate the wind. That being said, I hope the wind doesn't blow when I run tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment