Sunday, February 7, 2010

It is All in Your Head

Distance:
Monday: 5 miles
Tuesday: 4 miles
Wednesday: 3 miles
Thursday: 6 miles
Friday: Snowboarding
Saturday: 12+ miles

Friday I went snowboarding with my sons' school. They both board, so I have taken it up, too. It is quite enjoyable, and makes me work hard mentally and physically. I love to learn something new, and to challenge myself to get better at it. I really enjoy snowboarding for this reason. The school will go three more times, and as much as I am enjoying snowboarding, I think the last time I will ski, it is also fun to do something that you haven't done for a long time.

Our snowboard instructor's name is Joe. He is a really great teacher. I had him a couple years ago when I was very first learning to board. (I have now boarded a whole two times since then.) He really has a way of helping his students understand what to do. One of the girls said he was the best snowboarding instructor she had, I know that is the case with me. Anyway, in the process, he said something profound. He told the kids that snowboarding, and everything in life, is mostly mental. If you believe you can do something, and go so far as to visualize yourself doing it, 90% of the work was done. He told them to go through the motions in their heads before they tried it for real. This was most of the battle. The other 10% was practice. Now, that is one smart snowboarder. I thought of that wisdom all night that night, and the whole time I ran the next day. I did just as he said as I snowboarded, and as I ran. It really worked. I saw myself doing what needed to be done, realized I could do it, and then went ahead and did it. What great words of wisdom.

Because of Joe, I would like to celebrate teachers. I have had some teachers all my life, like my parents. They have taught me about love, family, and all that goes with it. There are others like Joe who I have only known for a short time, but have taught me concepts that will stick with me my whole life. Life is a teacher in itself, and we learn something new from each person we meet, and each experience we have. Our job is to learn what is being taught, and to use it to better ourselves and others. I would like to thank all of those who have taught me, in school and in life. I am who I am because of you, and will continue to be molded by others along the way. In turn, I hope to be a teacher to other's in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment