Monday, February 22, 2010

Rest

Monday: 4 miles
Tuesday: off
Wednesday: 4.5miles
Thursday: 6 miles
Friday: Snowboarding
Saturday: off

This week in my training was suppose to be a "rest week". I ended up resting more than planned. Saturday's long run was suppose to be 9 miles (I know this doesn't sound like a rest to some, but it is a rest from the double digits it has been the last month). Anyway, I hurt my arm snowboarding Friday night. Of course, it was on the last run, right near the bottom of the hill. I wasn't even doing anything stupid (unless you count trying to learn to snowboard at 36 stupid). I really thought it was broken due to the funny pop I felt when I landed on it. Luckily, it is just a sprain and feels much better already. So now the question is, do I still do the nine miles today, and then run the 14 scheduled for Saturday, or just start where I would have normally been today. Maybe an in-between 7 miles today would satisfy the missed miles, but not add too many miles in one week. Running makes you think.

So, then comes the other question. Is it time to give up snowboarding? At first, I figured I was finished. I can't afford to get hurt. Now, I keep thinking, "I got bucked off. I just need to get back on the horse." When is it wise to quit? Should an old woman like me stick to what she knows, and not try something new? Am I just asking for an injury? I remember when Nathan blew out his knee playing ball. It upset him the first time. However, when he did the same thing to the other knee the day he went back to playing, he said he was finished. I remember telling him it was worth getting hurt every once in awhile when you are doing something you love. I told him I wouldn't be able to just sit on the couch and do nothing. Am I actually ready to do that now? Give up snowboarding because I got hurt once. The bad thing is, I am actually thinking maybe I will give up snow sports altogether. I guess I need to decide if the potential of injury is too great to even try. I hope not. I hope I go back on the hill, if not this Friday, then next. I am scared though; scared of really getting hurt. Scared of Nathan's reaction if I do. (I can't handle an "I told you so." I don't deal well with being wrong.) For now, I think my arm is well enough to run. Friday is in the future, today I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment