Saturday, May 22, 2010

I love riding! Yesterday I went out with a group of women and we rode with the wind. I rode part of the same course as my twenty mile long run. I kept thinking how it was so great to be going 20+ miles/hr instead of 6. I had a grin on my face the whole time. Riding gives me a kind of perma-grin. I don't know exactly why, but I love it. It was especially great after a winter of only running.

It has been a week of mostly rest. I ran two miles and lifted on Tuesday, rode 12 on Wednesday, and then rode the 24ish (my speedometer wasn't working, but I think that was about what it was) yesterday. I am now turning my focus to the triathlon in July. I am glad I have something else to look forward to. I remember when I finished my first triathlon, I had a sense of loss. I had spent close to a year training to get ready for it, and when it was over, I kept thinking, "Now what do I do?" It was almost a let down. This time, I am already signed up for the triathlon, and am contemplating a 1/2 ironman in Sept. I might even do another marathon in October. So, I think rest time is over, I better start working.

Today I would like to celebrate something kind of different: transportation. When I ran my 20 mile long run, I couldn't help comparing how long it took me to run it with how fast I could drive it. In the time it took me to run, I could have rode to another city, I could have drove to another state, and I could have flown half-way across the country. Transportation has made it possible to travel the world, or out of the world for some. I can only imagine how hard it was when just going into town was an all day journey (okay, it still is for me, but for different reasons). Isn't transportation amazing. Thank goodness I can hop in my car whenever I feel like it, and in a few short hours, be at my cousin's house 180 miles away. This is something I have taken for granted all my life. Isn't it crazy how something like running 20 miles can affect how I look at travel. Today I think I will run a few miles, in hopes that someday I can ride my bike to my cousins; not because I have to, but because I can...it just might happen.

1 comment:

  1. This post reminded me of my grandpa Carl. He once told me that his father would only make the trip to Burley twice a year. It was just too hard and too long of a trip by wagon. I thought to myself...wow, sometimes I make the trip twice a day to Burley. Crazy how different the world is in just the last 100 years. Aren't we lucky to live in such an awesome world!!!

    ReplyDelete