Friday, May 28, 2010

The Truth Behind Me

Monday: 6 miles
Tuesday: 20 miles bike
Wednesday: 13/4 miles; 2x800' (3:29, 3:34); 13/4 miles
Thursday: 5k weights

Yesterday I ran in the rain. It was more of a drizzle than a real rain, but I loved it. Running in the rain when it is not too cold is wonderful. As I headed home, the sun was coming out and hitting the tops of the trees. There was a rainbow; it was all beautiful. I stopped for a couple minutes, just to look at it.

I lifted at the school gym yesterday. As I was leaving, I looked in the trophy case, and saw the tribute they had to one of my friends in high school, Thais, who died in a car accident more then 12 years ago. I've seen this many times, but for some reason, I stopped and really looked. I don't know if it is because it is the end of the school year, and I kind of think about school then, or just what it was, but I got kind of emotional. Thais was an amazing athlete. She and I were inducted into our school's athletic hall of fame a few years back. Truthfully, there was no reason for me to be in the hall of fame, except for her. One of the plaques I read talked about how she would give up a shot so another girl could take it. It was true. She made me look good. I remember giving a speech at the hall of fame induction and thinking how I would have never been there, except Thais had already passed away prior to the hall of fame thing. Her uncle always said we made a great team. We worked together well on the basketball court, mainly because we had played together so long. But when it came down to it, I looked good because of her. I knew she was the one who really deserved all the glory. She was amazing.

Today, I would like to celebrate one who makes me look great today, my husband. He is a wonderful man. He works hard all day in a pretty much thankless job. He gives up doing things he loves so I can do things I love. He knows what buttons he can and cannot push. He treats me like a queen, even when I act like one. We make a good team, mainly because we have been together so long. But when it comes right down to it, I look good because of him. When people comment about how they don't know how I run and do all the things I do, I realize it is because of him. He makes me, well me. I will get to run today, because of him. I love you!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. I haven't forgotten about Thais but haven't thought about her lately either. Husbands are pretty great. When it comes down to it, you could put your name in either spot above and it would fit. Maybe not the husband part - that might be a little scary - but I'm sure as a wife, he could say the same about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Where have you been? I am missing your posts and comments! Hope everything is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually going to get some shoes later in the week. I as hoping for today, but only so much can happen in a day. When I come up I will call you - we seem to never get there and stay for a good amount of time but hopefully this summer. I don't think I could do a 10K now - again - it's all very mental isn't? I really want to get my time down. Any suggestions for that would be great. I have to laugh - I remember running the mile once in high school and DYING! What's changed? Why wasn't that high on my list then? When is your next race? Is it a marathon? Half marathon? There's one down here on my birthday and that's something I really want to do. Thanks for the comments - it's nice to have you here!

    ReplyDelete