Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tips for Effortless Running

I have had people ask for pointers on how and when to run. My last post I added a link from a guy named Seth who has just begun running. It has some great tips and pointers. Seth's post was great, make sure to check it out. (You can find a link to the right.) Today, I will add my own ideas for running.

One thing I want to clear up from Seth's post is that it is not just hard for overweight people to run, I believe it is hard for most people to run. Although there may be a few natural runners for whom running is easy, more than likely, that guy who you see running around effortlessly has put in, and continues to put in, a lot of effort to be a great runner. His effortlessness comes from hard work and determination. You get out of running what you put into it.(Wow, what did I tell you. Running is just like life). Many think I make running look easy, but most days, I still beg the stop sign to come closer so I can be finished. Running (like life) is 90% mental, if you think you can do it, you will. (More on that @ http://running2learn.blogspot.com/2010/04/long-runs.html.)

Set Goals

This is probably the most important aspect of running. Find your reason for running, and then run. I know a lot of people run to lose weight, but I would suggest to you that you need other reasons for running. Sometimes, the weight doesn't come off as fast as we want or expect. When this happens, if it is the only reason one has for running, the running will come to a halt. My suggestion, enter a race, then tell everyone you know you are running it. You will have a goal, and will be accountable to tons of people. Besides that, there is no greater reward, or motivator, then stepping across the finish line after training so hard. It is amazing, and you realize you are amazing.

Once you have a long term goal, set daily and weekly goals. The more successes you have, the more you will want to run. Make the goals accomplishments, but achievable. By this I mean, make it something that takes some work, but can be done. Remember, not every day will be a great day running (just like life) and not every goal will be attained today, but there is always tomorrow. I would suggest taking a look at my first post to get a better understanding of this. http://running2learn.blogspot.com/2010/01/why-i-run.html

Have a Routine, but be Flexible
Running must become a habit. The best way to do this is to run at the same time every day. That being said, you must be flexible. Some people (like me) are not morning people. You have all heard that person who says, "Running in the morning makes me feel great all day!" That is not the case for me. Running makes me ready to sleep. I love to run at night. It relieves the stress of a long day and makes for a restful night. I used to a run exclusively at night. Now, however, in the summer, I run in the mornings, and during the school year, I run when there is a free second. That is a benefit of running, you can be ready at the drop of a hat. Find a time that works for you whether it is morning, night, or (like me), at the drop of a hat. If you know ahead of time that you will have a conflict on a certain day, schedule a different time to run. Know that as your life changes, your schedule might also. Be flexible!

Include your Kids
This is probably more for women, but would be a great idea for men, too. Take your little ones in a stroller. It doesn't have to be a jogging stroller, I have used a big, heavy stroller for years. Although a jogging stroller is lighter and and much more jogger friendly, any stroller would work. (I would probably forgo a little umbrella stroller as they are not as stable.) There are even some benefits to a regular stroller that I like: 1) Most jogging strollers don't recline, but my big stroller does. Running during nap times is perfect for me! 2) Can hold drinks and toys close at hand. My little ones love to go with me in the stroller, and it can help you gauge if your running too fast or slow. (Should be able to carry on a conversation with them, but not sing the National Anthem at the top of your lungs.) Older kids can ride bikes with you. When my daughter was seven, she rode six miles while I ran. If they are a little older, they can circle back to catch you if you are too far behind. This gets the kids away from TV and video games, and gives you extra encouragement. (It is amazing how inspirational a three-year-old's "Go, mom, go!" chants can be.) When you register for races, find ones that have toddler and child races. Many have half-mile and mile races for kids. They can watch and cheer for you, then you can watch and cheer for them.

Cross train
Running can be very hard on your joints, so cross training is essential. It also changes up your routine so you don't get bored and your body doesn't plateau. Cycling is a great alternative. It uses some of the same muscles, but without the impact. I love it! Find a riding group near you and ride with them, or take a spinning class at your rec. center. An elliptical trainer is also a great idea; same muscles, no impact. Weight training is essential. (I need to work on this!) It builds muscle, which in turn, speeds up metabolism and burns more fat. Besides, who doesn't want to see the guns instead of the drops? One to two days a week of weight training is plenty.

Rest
There may be nothing as important as rest. Rest at least one day a week. (I choose the sabbath.) Allowing your body to recover helps it to perform better later. If you are particularly tired one week, take another day off or two off (just don't make it too much of a habit).

Start Slow, but Change up a Bit
I think the two biggest downfalls of a beginning runners are they try to run too fast or too far at first. When they can't keep up the distance or pace, they give up. I started by walking, a lot. While I was pregnant with my fourth, I walked (and I am talking 4-5 mile/hr walked) 3 miles everyday. Of course I worked up to that. But when I started running, I would go a little (sometimes very little) further each day. Make sure not to increase more than 10% each week to avoid injury. However, it may be good to know that the first mile may be the hardest. Some of it is mental, but some is actually physical. It actually takes about a mile for your muscles to warm up, and more importantly, for your lungs to open up. After that mile, your body gets into a rhythm and your breathing evens out. My first mile is still my hardest for this reason. If you are running a mile, go a little farther, you may get to experience this phenomena.

Once a week, go fast. Even if it's just for a minute. I alternate between telephone polls, faster between one set, regular between the next (sometimes two or three) sets. Going faster one day will make it easier to go faster the next.

Make Running a Celebration
For so many of us, food is the way we celebrate. Make running a celebration. When you go on vacation, find a new place to run. I ran across the Golden Gate bridge while in San Fransisco and on the beach in San Diego. The great thing about running is all you really need is a pair of shoes (sometimes shoes can even be forgone). You could run in a suit or dress if you needed to. I, however, would suggest taking running clothes with you everywhere, and run when you get the chance. See a pretty sunset, run. Visit a historic location, run. It makes great memories that last longer than food. Also celebrate your accomplishments. Reward yourself for reaching those goals you set. Rewards are great motivators.

Runner's High
This is a little side note. Runner's high is an actual occurrence. It may take a while to get it or to realize you have it. People ask me all the time, "How long will it be before I love running." The answer may sound discouraging. Lots of times, I tell them that I don't love to run. That is a little misleading. I do love to run, but most days, it is a struggle to go out and run. Sometimes, there is other things I want to do, sometimes I am tired, and sometimes I am just plain lazy. One thing I have noticed is, once I start running, things change. My troubles seem to melt away, and before I know it, I am thinking, "My life is good." I get that runner's high and I feel great. An important thing to note is something my friend mentioned to me yesterday. As we run, we need to be in the moment, not thinking about how far we have to go. Realize you are doing something that you used to think impossible. Know that you are great.

Most importantly, find what works for you. I like to run without music, it gives me a chance to think. (I do take music on those extra long runs.) Some people use music for motivational purposes, and find songs that help them run faster, or longer. Do not try to run another's race. Translation, you are you, nobody else. Maybe your best friend runs 6 miles everyday, and you only run for ten minutes. Maybe your neighbor runs a 6 minute mile, and you are struggling with a 13 minute mile. Don't beat yourself up. Celebrate that you are running! You are amazing!Run today to live tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Melanie,

    Thank You so much. I have been wanting to do this for so long and still just can't seem to get the motivation. I think I am going to give it a try and hopefully I will end up loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I needed to read that. Tomorrow I'm trying to decide if I should run to Weigh Watchers tomorrow. What's 4 miles right? It's all mental and I won't get tired until I'm close to my destination. I read that in one of your posts and I really think it's true. It is mental. Running, weight loss, once the mental part is in motion it is all down hill. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete