Monday, January 4, 2010

A Reason to Celebrate

Distance: School and back- 68 laps around gym

Time: 1 hour (I'm not too stuck on time now, but may become later)

Weather: 20's Warm enough to at least run to the gym and back.



I think today was on of those barely made it days. I wanted to quit a few times, but I didn't. I kept going. I only felt like quitting once or twice, could have been worse. Near the end, I was moving somewhat slowly, and I thought about how I live my life exactly how I run.



When running, I always start too fast and then start to sputter in the middle. Once I start sputtering, I allow myself to think about quitting. By the end of the run, I seem to barely move, and end in a walk about 20 yards from the finish. So it is in my life, when I start something new (like this blog), I go all out. I run faster than I should, so to speak. In the middle, I continue, but begin to think about giving up. In the end, I fizzle out and although I finish, it is not with the same gusto as in the beginning. Today, I decided to change that, I ran to the finish. Then after walking a couple laps with some friends, ran eight more, just for fun.



A friend of mine joins us at the gym in the mornings. She started out only walking, but has just started running, one lap at a time. She has never run before, yet is willing to try something new. As I watched her, I thought about how proud she should be of herself. I wanted to tell her what a great accomplishment it is, and how she should celebrate, not just today, but every day she runs from here on out, as should all who start something new and stick to it. Everyone needs something to celebrate. Life should be a series of celebrations. Running allows me to see how great life is. Even when things seem bleak, I can look back on my life to see how much I have been given and how the good times outweigh the bad. Is there any better reason to celebrate?


So, even though my run wasn't my best, I have reasons to celebrate. I ran! I finished! I didn't give up! I went further than planned! I will run and celebrate again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment