Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ignorance is Bliss

I got some exciting, yet equally frightening news yesterday. Some friends and I signed up for a 4 person team ride earlier this year. However, we were put on a waiting list and didn't know our fate until yesterday. So, lucky us, we got in! By the way, it is 187 miles. We do not have to ride the whole thing, it is a relay, so we will break up that 187 miles between us. Easy right, but wait, there is more. Starting elevation for the ride is 2,785 ft. and the highest elevation is 8,464 ft. Yes, we will be climbing nearly 5,700 ft (hence the frightening). Here are four ladies just out to have a good time. Can you think of anything better for fun. We have known we had a chance to do this ride, and had great intentions of training hard for it, but...yeah, it is 2 weeks away. The truly sick part, I can hardly wait. Bring on the torture, bring on the pain. I feel like a little kid at Christmas.

Today I celebrate ignorance. May seem like a funny thing to celebrate, but I have no idea what I am getting myself into with this race; therefore ignorance is bliss. Mark Twain once said "All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Maybe this race will kick my butt, but right now, I don't know any different. I am just going to go ride for fun. Sometimes, the excitement of the unknown allows us to do something that, if we knew how hard it truly was, we would never begin in the first place. Yet, once we start, we just cannot give up. I'll take a picture at the 8000 ft summit! Wahoo!!!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I'm so excited for you! You'll have the time of your life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your comment - think your right about the rest. I did rest last week, I only ran 3 days and 3, 6 and 8 miles runs. I'm running 2 5Ks tomorrow and I was planning on doing another 8 to get my 14 miles in. Maybe I'll skip that, and do my scheduled 12 next week. Then I do start tapering down - My race is June 11. Let me know what you think. It really helps to have another opinion! I'm so glad that I have you! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete